Friday, March 18, 2011

40 days and 40 ways...to help # 13 Homeless Children

Probably most of you remember that year I was in graduate school. You probably remember me changing my ideas about what I was going to do next like oh, say, every other week. Well, in one of those weeks I found a school that I absolutely fell in love with. I wanted to work there SO BAD! I just couldn't picture a better way to serve the Lord and to serve children than to go to Phoenix to work at the Thomas J. Pappas School for homeless children. This school not only provided education for the homeless children of Phoenix, but also supplied them with school and hygiene supplies as well as clothes, shoes, and meals to take home. That year (2008) the school closed due to funding. It was luckily reopened in another location as a charter school called Children First Academy (the website isn't working, so donating to them is not as easy right now).

The idea of a school for homeless children is just so inspirational. What chance will these kids have if we don't give them their basic needs and an education? What if Ron Neil, the Superintendent of Sequoia Charter Schools, hadn't given the kids of Phoenix a chance by reopening their school? What will happen if funding doesn't reach other schools like it? Schools like:


or

http://www.schoolonwheels.org/ that works throughout California to provide tutoring to homeless children.

or

http://www.mustardseedschool.org/supporting-mss in Sacramento, which is a free, private school for homeless children ages 3-15.

We have been so blessed, and we take so much for granted.

The children in my classes that have been poor, or homeless are a heartbreaking site. Times might have been tough, but I never had to worry that I would have shoes to wear to school or food waiting in the fridge, or a bed to sleep in.

If you want to help children locally, call any local school. I'm sure they will know of a child or family that is struggling and could use an extra pair of shoes or jacket this season.


No comments:

Post a Comment