Wednesday, March 9, 2011

40 Days and 40 Ways ...(to help) #5 Feed an Orphan

When I found this site earlier this year it absolutely inspired me! Three years ago a then seven year-old Sydney from Knoxville, TN (woot woot for the shout out!!) decided she needed to do something to save the orphans in Africa. She describes in her blog that one night she told her mother that she didn't want to eat dinner asking, “Why should we eat like kings and queens when they have nothing?”

Three years (and two adopted siblings from Ghana) later, Sydney is saving the world with her site http://feedingtheorphans.com/ !!! On this site you can donate as little or as much as you see fit. You can sponsor a child for $25. a month, or you can even buy a t-shirt for yourself and the proceeds will go to Sydney's cause.

Most of you at one time or another have probably heard me say my favorite quote, "Live simply so that others may simply live." I'd love to live by that mantra. I say I'd love to because I don't really. It's a struggle to deny yourself for the love of others; it's a constant battle, especially in our society where "stuff" determines success. At least that's what we're meant to believe. But Sydney is doing it. She's living what I don't have the courage to do enough. She's striving for simple living for the betterment of others.

And if a mere child is doing it, why aren't we?

No comments:

Post a Comment