Friday, March 18, 2011

40 days and 40 ways...to help # 11 Clean Water

I'm not sure what kind of philanthropist I would be if I didn't mention this one. I'm talking about the one major resource that we take for granted every. single. day.

Clean Water.

And the majority of people living in third world countries don't have it. I mean, think about that! I read in one of my eco books that the amount of water we use in a 5 minute shower is the equivalent of what most people in Africa get to use for an ENTIRE DAY!! That's washing clothes, dishes, bathing, drinking, cooking, etc. After reading that same information Jennifer Aniston began committing herself to a 3 minute shower a day. That's just one of the many reasons that Jennifer Aniston is, in fact, cooler than me. I've tried and tried, but the shortest shower I could get down to was 4:20 (and please try to hold back your snickers, that was the real time). Furthermore, when it comes to showering after a big surf day (smelling like whale poop and combing seaweed out of my hair) or a seriously sweaty workout at the gym, I don't even feel guilty for my 5+ minute showers. But I should. It's like little Sydney said, why should I live like a queen when they have nothing?

So guilty, not guilty, whatever. Regardless, the right thing to do is to try to monitor our water and find ways of providing it for others.

I know some great people working for this cause as we speak. One super-awesome pastor friend of mine is supporting the organization http://www.bloodwatermission.com/ during Lent. He is giving up all drinks except for water. Every time he wants to drink something else (or would normally) he puts that money aside. At the end of Lent he will donate the money to the organization to provide clean water for people in Africa. The organization was originally created by the members of Jars Of Clay, who wanted to help the people of Africa after seeing the devastation there, but I just heard about it a few years ago from Donald Miller's blog when he decided to do the 1,000 mile bike ride to raise money and awareness for the cause. (If you are ever looking for a GREAT read, check his books, or blog http://donmilleris.com/ out!)

Another wonderful gal that I know of is doing a similar project for Lent through https://20liters.org/ 20liters gives some very convincing information on their site that I just have to share with you:

1 in 8 people in the world do not have clean water .

$40 creates access to clean water for 1 family for up to 10 years!

$140 buys a slow-sand filter that creates access to clean water for 20 people for up to 10 years.

$3,200 buys a rainwater harvesting system that creates access to clean water during the rainy season for 100 families for up to 10 years.

Don't have the time to go looking up all these sites? text 20LITERS to 85944 to donate $10.

No comments:

Post a Comment