Friday, March 4, 2011

40 Days and 40 Ways ...(to help)

I've been rolling ideas around in my brain for what to do about Lent this year.

I think I'm going to give up eating meat. I read in "Natural Health" the other day that it can take at least 40 times as much water to produce a pound of beef compared to a pound of veggies. Who can live with that kind of waste when I could be eating healthier anyway? I felt like it was a double-wami kind of deal. Be healthy, conserve resources!

But as I was telling John about it another super-great idea came to me- what about 40 days to helping?! That's where this blog topic came from. I'm not really doing this for Lent because, well let's be honest, I haven't updated this blog since August, how could I find the time to do it for 40 days straight?! But if I start now, maybe I can get 40 days in before April 24 (the end of Lent). So hopefully, by March 9 (the beginning of Lent) someone will have read one or two of these posts and have found one of the ideas handy!

So here goes.... 40 days and 40 ways to help. Way #1: http://www.kiva.org/ This site rocks my world. Or really, it rocks other people's lives around the world. I know a lot of people feel that they already give so much money to good causes (like this week when I got annual fund notices from Easter Seals, March of Dimes, the Alzheimer's Foundation and Susan G. Komen), and they really don't have the money to help all the people that they'd like. Kiva changes all that. Kiva, in Swahili, means "agreement" or "unity." Kiva.org is just that. It is a charitable loan. You loan $25 to help low-income entrepreneurs to get their feet off the ground and within a year, the money is repaid to you. From there you can take your money and smile :D about the difference you made in the world, or you can reinvest in another entrepreneur.

Doesn't that just feel good?

1 comment:

  1. Really cool idea. Where do you find all of this great stuff?

    ReplyDelete