Monday, April 18, 2011

40 days and 40 Ways ...(to help) #28 Do your research

I heard someone say once that every time you go shopping, it's like you're voting. It's true, in a way. When you buy a product that company makes money. This creates a supply and demand. When you bought that product you were voting for that company over another. You are essentially wanting that company to succeed over the others. But would you vote without knowing what the candidate stood for? Would you cast an uneducated ballot? I certainly hope not. I hope that you'd research the candidates, their agendas, beliefs, viewpoints, etc. So why don't we do that as consumers?

Here's some information to help you make more "informed" decisions:

M&M's (Mars Candy): Evidence that they use child slave labor.
Verizon Cell Phones and Service: Have given $84 million to Washington Lobbyists; discriminated against pregnant employees.
Coca-Cola: On the Multinational Monitor's "Worst Corporation" list for 3 years; hinders clean water access abroad; is the target of major human rights boycotts.
Lubriderm: #17 in "Top 100 Corporate Criminals"; has the worst environmental record in the industry; continues unnecessary animal testing.

Vs.

Tom's of Maine: (Toothpaste, soap, etc.): Powered by 100% renewable energy; gives 10% of profits to nonprofits; ranked #8 best company on the planet.
New Belgium (beer): 1st 100% wind-powered brewery; conserves 50% more water vs. average; employee-owned business; gives $1.6 million to local community.
Chipotle (fast food): Actively sources from family farms; supports humane treatment of animals; 30% of beans utilized are organic; 50-100% of meat utilized is natural-raised.

Seriously, who would you vote for?

I found this info in a book I recently purchased called "The Better World Shopping Guide" by Ellis Jones. I keep it in my purse now for when I go to the grocery. I have to admit it has been difficult giving up on some of these "trusted" brands that I've grown up with (I still SERIOUSLY struggle with Coca-Cola), but I think about how so many companies are trying to do what is right when it would be so easy to do the wrong things and make more money. I want to support what is right. I want to teach my kids to do what is right. How can I do that by supporting those that do wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment