Sunday, April 3, 2011

40 Days and 40 Ways ...(to help) #21 Save The Children

Save the Children.
This one is very dear to my heart, not just because this organization is working to exactly fulfill what I believe my purpose is- to save children, but also because of it's origin.
Save the Children was created 75 years ago in rural Appalachia, to help children during the depression. I became familiar with the organization while I was working for The Center for Educational Research in Appalachia in Richmond, KY during graduate school. Save the Children is still doing work in rural Appalachia to resolve the issues that children there face everyday, the issues of poverty, hunger, illiteracy, and disease. In their 75 years of existence they have expanded to more than 50 countries working to save children. You will see them providing aid after every major catastrophe, including with the recent tsunami victims in Japan.
If you are looking for one charity to give to annually, or on a monthly basis, to help children around the world, this is the one I recommend.



No comments:

Post a Comment