Monday, April 18, 2011

40 days and 40 Ways ...(to help) #27 Don't Do Anything

I realize that this sounds a bit counterproductive from all the advice I've been spewing this Lent season, but it actually makes sense. I read this blog that talks about how if we really want to save the world then we should just stop doing stuff.

Much like my favorite mantra: Live simply so that other's may simply live.

Stop wanting stuff. The more crap we buy, the more demand there is for it, so the more companies make of it. Just stop wanting it. You don't need it. It's just more junk that will end up in a landfill for our kids to deal with. Sounds easy enough, but any American will tell you, it's stinkin' hard!! Americans LUUUUUV stuff. I love stuff. But I challenge you, go a week without buying anything new (except food, but try to buy all unpackaged food). Then try to do it for a whole month. Imagine how much money you'd save. If you really really REALLY have to buy something, try to find it used first. There's no since creating more.

Stop going to do stuff. That's not really true, but try to do better stuff. Instead of wasting the gas driving to spend 933423483 dollars to see the newest movie, try doing something good for you. Go on a bike ride. Walk in the park with a friend. Unclutter your house. Don't spend money or resources and just see how much fun you have :)

Be mindful. I have a wonderful husband that helps me to be accountable. He helps me to be mindful of others and the environment (like when I want to go buy new stuff and he reminds me of my quest to save the world). But even with having my John here to help, I want to make a conscience effort to think of others (people, animals, environment, etc.) all the time. So I pray for mindfulness. I pray that God will help me to remember others and bring it to my mind when I'm doing something that isn't beneficial for myself, others, or the environment.
That's more than half the battle.

1 comment:

  1. My contribution- 1. I have no life! Kids really drain a couple of their resources (like money). We go to the park, or the playground at the school across the street.
    2. E-books. I freakin' love my Kindle! I'm saving trees and since they have lots of free books, I am saving money too! And, I don't have to waste gas to go to a bookstore to get new reading material!
    3. I threw out toys... lots and lots of toys. But that was because they were getting on my nerves. Mostly, I donated them to Teen Challenge, but some I did throw away.

    So, I'm tryin'! But I will try to have less of a life than I currently have. :)
    p.s. check out Joe's garden blog! You can find it from my blog page! You'd be so proud!

    ReplyDelete