Friday, April 8, 2011

40 days and 40 Ways ...(to help) #24 Eva's HeroesI

I watched an interview yesterday with one of my new favorite celebrities, Eva Longoria. She is considered a new favorite because of the interview. I'll admit I was expecting the typical, "I'm a celebrity, I adopt children from other countries so you'll love me, but really I pay my nannies to take care of them while I steal other peoples' husbands." But I got something totally different. I think I've found a kindred spirit!!

Not only is Eva Longoria a super hot actor/model/producer/director, but she also is a student. Eva (I'm pretty sure she'd want us to be on a first name basis) is currently working on her Master's in History and Chicano studies. She is an advocate for not only equal rights and social justice of Latino's and migrant workers in America, but she has created a documentary to create awareness for the new slave class that we have created in this country. I'm speaking of the young American citizen children that are working in our fields today. They are victims of generational poverty, unable to escape due to their lack of education created by the demand for agricultural work. In the interview she says, "We won't by t-shirts from China because they were made from kids in sweatshops, but we have our own children, legal citizens, picking our fruits and vegetables!" I <3 her.

Although I haven't found the right way to get behind this fight she's fighting for our Hispanic children (maybe just getting the word out, starting petitions? ...Any ideas?), I have found the way to get behind another one of Eva's great projects. Eva's Heroes, http://www.evasheroes.org/index.asp. Eva created this project in honor of her older sister, Lisa. Seeing how much independence has helped Lisa, Eva created Eva's Heroes to help other kids with disabilities, namely Down's syndrome, to live lively, active lives. Eva's Heroes is an after school and summer program for children 14-21 in the San Antonio area. Check it out, I think it will bless you!

Finally, an actor I can like!

No comments:

Post a Comment