Sunday, May 15, 2011

40 days and 40 Ways ...(to help) #34 Christmas

Nobody wants to think about Christmas in May. Including myself. But you can't very well think of charity without Christmas coming to mind. With that being said, I want to tell you about my all-time favorite Christmas charity!! I've been doing this charity since I was 17 (Yikes 10 years now!). My mom got us doing it in high school and I just loved the concept, so I've done it every year. This year I was able to help on a bigger scale by helping at the local contribution center as well as buying for the charity.

www.samaritanspurse.org

It's so easy, and it helps children around the world to have a Christmas!! You just grab a shoe box, fill it with little toys, games, clothes, soap, toothbrushes, etc. put a few bucks in for shipping (I think it was like $5 this year) and take it to your local distribution site (found at the website).

You don't have to run out and buy all that stuff either! When I was in college (and of course, broke) I would only eat happy meals when I got fast food. I saved up all the little toys and put them in the boxes. I got donations of crayons in boxes from Cracker Barrel and I also included boxes of soap, travel sized toothpaste and kids toothbrushes, and bought a pack of kids undies and socks. I put any free sample stuff I could get my hands on that they could use. I could usually fill about 3 or 4 boxes this way. I didn't have the money then to even include the shipping. They will accept the box without it (thank goodness), so now I give an extra monetary donation so that other poor college kids can give without worrying about the shipping money.

I thought posting this now might give you an idea of things to grab when you are at the dollar spot in Target or something so you could start a collection for when Christmas comes :)

2 comments:

  1. I remember my high school church group doing this years ago. It was eye opening knowing that the box I was packing was going to be Christmas for a child thousands of miles away. Great idea, Jess! And now it the time to start planning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should do this with the preschool kids! I bet they would love bringing in stuff and filling up shoe boxes. Bella always enjoys helping me pick out toys, clothes, etc that we donate at Christmas to various places.

    ReplyDelete