This post is my two cents about this whole Chick-fil-A craziness, and why it makes me insane and happy all at the same time :) Insane, because although I believe this to be an important issue in this country right now, it has completely taken over my news feed. More than the Colorado massacre, more than the Olympics, more than Joseph Kony and the LRA, more than the upcoming election. It is all about the leader of the chicken sandwich and his views?!?!?!
So I saw this picture on a friend's facebook page and I felt that it truly explained why this whole thing actually makes me pretty happy.
Finally, the American people are willing to put their money where their mouth is!! It doesn't matter where you stand on the issue of gay marriage, people are either supporting chick-fil-a financially (with record numbers on August 1) or not supporting them at all. WHICH IS AWESOME! Either way, people are actually feeling passionate about a cause and working for or against it! Proof that it can be done! My hope, as Willy Wonka is mentioning here, is that more Americans will boycott what they think is wrong! Why are we giving money to companies that support something we hate?!
I've talked about this before, about how every purchase you make is a vote and people are voting on chick-fil-a and this issue. Why aren't people voting about these issues???:
- Discrimination against African Americans- Wonderbread (They make bread, Twinkies, etc.)
- Discrimination against pregnant employees- Verizon (check your phone, most likely you support them)
- Unnecessary animal testing - Proctor and Gamble (they make everything: Clairol, Tide, Gain, Gillette, Pampers, Iams, Downey, Cascade, Bounty, Tampax. Seriously, everything, so check your labels.)
- Child slave labor and aggressive takeovers of family farms- Nestle (time to pick a new chocolate, folks. As well as Gerber foods, Coffeemate, Dreyer's and Haagen Dazs ice cream, certain bottled waters- they are all made by Nestle. All contributing to child slave labor.)
- Involvement in plastic toy sweatshops and cause for rain forest deforestation abroad- KFC (Chicken again)
- And many, many more!
I'd also like to point out that these aren't just companies that SAY how they feel on these topics, these are companies that actually ACT on these topics. They've all been sued for these acts and yet, the American people just keep right on supporting them with their hard-earned money.
So please, continue to boycott companies that you feel you don't agree with!!! But please don't stop with politics or religion. Boycott the companies that are actually physically hurting people and the environment as well. I believe August 1 showed that when the American people put their money where their mouth is, no matter what side you support, we can make a difference!